NBA Draft Lottery Scenario: How the Rockets, Timberwolves, and Bulls Lost the First Round Draft in 2021

The draw for the 2021 NBA Draft will be held on Tuesday. As usual, the team will be excited before the game starts.

For other teams such as the Rockets, Timberwolves and Bulls, their nerves are tense.

That’s because the first-round picks of these three teams have conditions attached.They will keep their choice in case They fall within the designated scope of protection (the top four are protected, the top five are protected, etc.). If they do not, the choice will be communicated to other teams as part of the previous transaction package.

So what do Houston, Minnesota and Chicago hope during the draft draw? Here is how each team kept their pick and how they lost it (or saw it get relegated) on Tuesday night.

more: Explain the draft draw and the odds for each draft

2021 Rockets Draft Lottery Plan

The Rockets’ record last season was the worst in the NBA, which guarantees that they will get the top five picks in the 2021 NBA Draft. However, Houston’s focus will be on whether the team can win the top four due to a deal with the Thunder two years ago.

On July 16, 2019, the Rockets sent Chris Paul and the next 2024 and 2026 first-round picks to the Thunder in exchange for Russell Westbrook. The team also sent two first-round picks to Oklahoma City, one of which was during the 2021 NBA Draft.

However, the 2021 draft picks are protected by the top four. So if the Rockets’ draft picks fall within the first four picks, Houston will keep it. However, if Houston’s draft pick falls at No. 5, Oklahoma City can swap its lowest pick with the Rockets’ pick.

This means that the Rockets will get the No. 18 pick for the Thunder (via the Heat) and get the No. 5 pick.

The Rockets have a 52.1% chance of getting the top four picks and a 47.9% chance of getting the fifth pick. Tank marathonNeedless to say, they will be sweating profusely during the draw on Tuesday, as they are looking for a key part to quickly start their reconstruction.

more: In-depth understanding of the Thunder’s excess draft capital

Timberwolves 2021 lottery plan

The Timberwolves traded D’Angelo Russell before the NBA trade deadline on February 6, 2020, allowing him to partner with Karl Anthony Towns as a long-term starter.

As part of the deal, the Wolves sent Andrew Wiggins and two 2021 draft picks to the Warriors. One is a first-round pick protected by the top three, so the Timberwolves need their choice to win the top three picks in the lottery on Tuesday to keep their choice.

The Timberwolves rank sixth in lottery odds this year, so these odds are definitely not in their favor. In fact, Minnesota has a 27.6% chance of retaining the draft pick and a 72.4% chance of losing to the Warriors.

Therefore, Golden State seems to have two lottery picks. But something stranger happened.

decoration: Ranked in the top 60 in the 2021 NBA Draft

Bulls Draft Lottery 2021

The Bulls only have a 20.2% chance of retaining their first-round pick. Before the 2021 NBA trade deadline, they sent the top four protected draft picks to the Magic in the Nikola Vucevic trade.

Considering that Vucevic averaged 21.5 points, 11.5 rebounds and 3.9 assists in 26 games in Chicago, the team will not lose a 70.7% chance of becoming the eighth or ninth pick in the draft. Right and complain too much.

As for the rebuilt Magic, they will hold their breath and hope the Bulls will not win one of the four lottery zones. If they do, not only will the Magic lose that option, but their own draft picks may also be depressed.

The Magic has the best chance of being tied with the Rockets and Pistons for the first overall pick (14%). And has the third best lottery odds overall.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *